Seraphim Voice Chat
Seraphim has a Voice Chat server which is available for all members to use. You can find the download location and the server information below.
For it's voice chat interface, Seraphim has chosen to use the program Mumble. There are several reasons for this choice:
- The Mumble interface is customizable, and fairly easy to use.
- It's a lot cheaper in the long run.
Mumble is a program that is very similar to Ventrilo, or Teamspeak, and should thus be familiar to those players who have used either of those programs before.Voice Chat FAQQ
: Why use Mumble? Do I need to get this even if I do not own a microphone?A
: Mumble is an excellent means of communicating rapidly with clan members. It also facilitates mass announcements, and more dynamic interaction between the clan and the leadership.
Members are required to have Mumble installed, and to join our Server during clan events. A microphone is not necessary! You can listen just as well to instructions relayed over Mumble even if you cannot speak.Q
: Where can I download Mumble, or find out more information about the program?A
: You can download Mumble here. From that same location, you should be able to find a more extensive FAQ which explains the various features of the program.Q
: Alright, I installed Mumble. How do I connect to Seraphim's Server?A
: This is the procedure you should follow when first joining Seraphim's server:
- From the menu at the top of the interface, choose Server --> Connect (Ctrl + O)
- A new window should open up atop the Mumble interface. Click the button at the bottom right of that window which says "Add New...".
- In the "Servername" textbox, you place what you would like the server to be called. We recommend that you name your server "Seraphim Clan".
- In "Address", copy and paste the 10-digit number which can be found below in the "Server Information" section of this post.
- In the "Port" textbox, copy and paste the 4-digit number which can be found below in the "Server Information" section of this post.
- In "Username", type the name which you would like to be displayed to other clan memebers when you connect to Seraphim's server.
- Once you have entered this information, click "Ok".
- You should then see Seraphim's server listed under "Favorites" in the previous screen. The name will appear as whatever you set it (in the above example, the server should appear titled "Seraphim Clan").
- To connect to the Server, double-click "Seraphim Clan", or select "Seraphim Clan" and click the "Connect" button at the bottom of the window.
: What is a push-to-talk button, and how do I turn it on?A
: A push-to-talk button controls when other Mumble users on the server can hear you. Basically, you assign a function to a button, which allows other players to hear you whenever you "press" it. If you do not have push-to-talk enabled, other users will be able to hear all of the sounds coming through your microphone (probably things you would not like them to hear).
To enable push-to-talk, you will need to follow these steps:
- From the menu at the top of the interface, select Configure --> Settings
- A new window should open. In the left menu, ensure that "Audio Input" is selected.
- Under "Transmission", select from the Drop-Down menu the option "Push To Talk".
- In the left menu, select "Shortcuts".
- At the bottom of this window, click the button that says "Add".
- You should see a new function appear in the window. Under "Function", click where it says "Unassigned". From the drop-down menu, select "Push-to-Talk".
- Under "Shortcut", click or press with the key that you would like to assign the Push-to-Talk button to. We recommend that you use the middle mouse button (the mouse wheel), or the "~" sign, which is located above the "Tab" key.
- Once you have done this, be sure to click "Apply" at the bottom of the window. Some users have experienced an issue where the Mumble window exceeded their screen height, and they missed seeing this button. Be sure to find this button! Mumble will not save any of the settings you just changed unless you click "Apply".
If you have any issues joining, please contact either myself (Eldritch_Song), or our Mumble Moderator, theavenged44.